Friday, July 20, 2007

Working at the Conference

Well, today I started working on the staff of teen volunteers at the Conference. It was pretty interesting- we got a tour around all the Conference areas in the hotel. We also got our schedules- and the shirts- and began our work. I'm not working all of the time, so I get some free time to go look at things. Today, I worked in the bookstore, and n the playroom. That was pretty fun. I got to go in the storage area behind the bookstore, which, while fun at first, isn't all that interesting, to tell you the truth. There are lots of books, though. And in so many languages! It was pretty cool to see the Answer book in Spanish- the other teen volunteer who was helping me was actually from Mexico, which was pretty cool in itself. We were talking about where we lived, and what it was like, and I had a heck of a time converting from Fahrenheit to Celsius. But, with the help of my handy-dandy cell phone calculator, I was able to do it. Turns out, the areas we live in have pretty similar climates in the summer. Small world, I guess.

The playroom is pretty much the most awesome thing I have ever seen. Since the children are supposed to be supervised by their parents or an older sibling (or baby-sitter), the teen staff didn't have to do much. The stuff in there is actually pretty fun- we even liked playing on some of the things there. It's huge, and the TV thing is pretty cool- there's a video camera set up in one part of the room, and there is a TV in another part of the room where you can see what's going on. It's especially fun when the person being filmed doesn't realize it.

And that's pretty much what I've done today. Since I am wearing one of the Conference shirts, I've had lots of people ask me questions. I don't always know what sessions are going on at a given time, or where a specific thing or person can be found, but I do know where most of the rooms are by name, thanks to the tour I got. I still haven't had a chance to get my photos up (they're on my mom's roommate's laptop, and I'm in the tech room), but if you're at the Conference, you'll probably see me around. But if I'm running fast, I probably won't have time to talk- because I'm helping this Conference go.

Kayleigh

No comments: